By Tracey Allport, MOTH Therapies
There is a really interesting concept, that what you focus on grows.
If you focus on negative, self destructing, or worrying thoughts, your mind effectively will grow weeds of darkness.
And because your mind is naturally wired for negativity (as a way to keep you safe), you have to work a bit harder to focus on the good stuff around you.
Interestingly it takes only 21 days, of persistent worrying about something, to create a worrying mind and to create positive forming habits, you have to work a little harder for the sum of 66 days! (You can understand why new years resolutions fail before you get to the end of January can’t you).
Of course, life can get in the way and things can happen to make everyday living a challenge causing your stress levels to rise and you can start to neglect yourself.
It’s really important that you think about your basic needs first, because if they are met you are better resourced to manage.
Let’s consider what a plant needs:
Space to grow
- Water: Keeping yourself hydrated is key, for your brain to work properly, your organs to function well and for your body to move without creaking. Aim for 2 litres a day, easily achieved with a sip every 15 minutes.
- Nutrients: Feeding your body nutritious food, will help you to feel better, helps you to think clearly and have energy levels that allow you to function. Try to avoid sugary processed snacks and opt for meals with fresh protein to keep you fuller longer.
- Sunlight: Is vital to produce Vitamin D, to keep your bones strong, to lift your mood and help you sleep by balancing your body’s rhythms, especially if you get sunlight within an hour of waking up.
- Air: Getting outside in nature will help to calm a frazzled nervous system. Taking purposeful breaths and focusing on what you see, hear, smell and feel whilst outside, will bring your mind back into the moment and distract you from worrying thoughts as well.
- Sleep and rest are vital for all living beings. Without sleep you cannot function well; try aiming for 7-9 hours a night. And rest is important to create balance in your daily life; even a plant stops photosynthesising in the dark!
If you manage to tick all the boxes for numbers 1-5, then you can shift your focus to number 6.
- Space to grow: How does this look for you? How would you like it to look? How does your focus need to change? What is important to you?
Maybe creating some alone time to be able to reflect and restore yourself.
Spending time with friends and family to lift your spirits?
What about starting a new hobby, to create a sense of achievement?
Taking some time off from work, to reset your stress levels?
Or maybe reaching out to a professional who can give you the support that you need?
I would love for you to take some time to reflect on what it is that you need, to help yourself flourish into a beautiful green and vibrant plant today.